Tuesday, June 1, 2010

School Daze

This is my first grade report card it is fuzzy and hard to read when having to scan to fit into a blog but I would like to bring to your attention to the category work habits. Under work habits they are all X's except on the categories, avoids unnecessary talking and works independently. I received a check mark in those which is not good. Mrs. Beard was my first grade teacher and it was her last year teaching before she retired. She was strict and didn't take any crap from us students. She was a wonderful teacher though and loved all her students; even me, even though I couldn't seem to keep my mouth shut


I think this picture was second grade and I had Mrs. Pixler. I went to school at Lincoln Elementary. It was an old school but a great school. I remember popcorn Fridays, you could buy fresh popped popcorn on Fridays. They had a piece of play equipment on the playground called the "bridge". It was a huge wooden splintered ridden obstacle/jungle gym/imagination play area. It was HUGE! It had bridges and areas to sit and climb and hide. It had exposed nails and pieces broken off but playground safety was not a federal mandated concern back then. Once when I jumped off the bridge ( I was wearing a skirt) and I caught my underwear on an exposed nail on the bridge and it ripped my underwear clean off. I know another kid that caught his jeans doing the same thing and it ripped through his jeans and ripped off his underoos too, they were superman underoos. I recently saw the boy that this happened to added to someones friend list on facebook, Do you think I should send him a message relating this childhood memory? Do you think he would add me as a friend? Nah...that is what I thought too :) !!!



4th grade Mrs Bolton. I mentioned in earlier posts she was one of my favorite teachers. I am the student in the second row from the top in the middle with some weird black shadow on my dress and a lot of bangs. This was a different school, Washington Elementary. It was also and old school but some great memories. This is the peak of the 80' s era. It was a time of Michael Jackson; Rubik's cube, Duran Duran; break dancing, jelly shoes; and Ronald Reagan.




"sigh"....Junior High! What can I say about junior high other then it was pure hell. I had moved to a new state and could not figure out where I fit in. I meet my best friend whom I still call my best friend to this day. She was my saving grace during this time. She had just moved to the area also and I think we were two awkward teenagers looking for that person we could just be ourselves with. We spent hours at each others houses listening to INXS tapes and laughing about what had happened at school that day. To this day when we get together we still giggle like we were in junior high again.





This is it, my senior year picture. I think I finally figured out at this point who I was. I was probably most comfortable in my skin at this point. I no longer cared what the other kids in those senior pictures thought about me. I cared about the close friends I had and we had lots of fun. We would do the State Street drag; played hide and sneak in cemeteries, went to the dollar movies; played hooky from school, hung out at the pie with college kids because we wanted to pretend we were older then we were; hung out at the mall, and enjoyed just being kids.







I wonder what kind of memories my kids are making. They move on to 5th grade next year. I know there will be years that are wonderful and years they would like to forget. Would I want to go do it again...no...but I enjoyed the ride that I took and look forward to watching my kids school day memories unfold.






No comments:

Post a Comment