Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Quarantine

So the first couple days on the ship were spent laying in the sun, enjoying the copious amount of food, and seeing nightly shows. The 2nd night was formal night for the captains dinner. Everyone came out in their finest and it was fun to see all the tuxedos and formals being worn. They took professional photos of everyone which I purchased but I am to lazy to scan them on the computer so here is a sampling of how lovely we looked that evening.....





So earlier in the day in our grazing for food my niece Gabby had something that did not agree...we blame the mini shrimp...anyways... by the time we got through dinner and were sitting at the theater waiting for them to do the captains toast...the slow rhythmic rocking of the boat ......finally did her in. She spent the rest of the evening in the stateroom. So the following day the seas were rough going into Puerto Rico. The ship was swaying pretty good...so...my mom...well.... even though she had taken some pills for sea sickness...we quickly figured out she could not deal with the high seas and she found herself  sick and getting progressively worse as the morning went on. In the meantime Gabby was on the mend from the night before but now mom was down for the count.

So here is where my sister...well my sister gets the award for "Parental Failure of the Year"......



Leana (my sister) calls the infirmary because the nurse in her kicks in and automatically she goes to the worse thinking we have some weird virus running through our room. She explains my moms is ill and needs a wheelchair to the infirmary and THEN she includes Gabby being sick the night before in the conversation... even though Gabby was doing just fine at this point. In reality we have a mild case of bad shrimp and sea sickness from the rocky waters BUT the infirmary thinks otherwise and requests my mom and Gabby come to the infirmary immediately. So in the meantime we are getting ready to port into Puerto Rico...........

That is Puerto Rico in the background and Gabby was excited to get off the ship and experience this place she has never been....but.....alas.... this is all Gabby will see of Puerto Rico because.......

Well.....once they go to the infirmary....the nurse is convinced it is viral and she quarantines Gabby and my mom for 24 hours to our room. They are not allowed to step off the ship...eat in the dining halls...they are labeled contagious and confined to our room.

The look...the look Gabby gave her mother...that look that says it all...that look with tears in her eye's that says, "YOU HAVE RUINED MY VACATION"....Gabby wanted to see Puerto Rico, but not from a balcony on a ship..she wanted to drink some rum.... see the Latin inspired architecture and art...but no...she was going to be staying with her sea sick grandma on the ship.

So here is where I leave this post.......

All of us standing in the infirmary as Gabby filled out medical CDC paperwork....my mom hunched over in her wheelchair with a queasy stomach, Leana having to do her CDC paperwork......and me and Leana having to leave so we could leave for our excursions in Puerto Rico.....

...yup that is where we had to leave them... in the infirmary.... signing away their next 24 hours to......Quarantine.

So as me and sister were awaiting our departure off the boat I turn to my sister and say....

"This is what I call, "Parental Fail"...and you have succeeded at this today, I know I have had my share of them but today I hand the award to you. Also (I say with a smirk on my face) if  you or I end up puking or pooping... we sure as hell are not going to say anything to the infirmary.... I don't want to be put on....quarantine!"

...and with that we stepped onto Puerto Rico soil......

....TO BE CONTINUED..........






No comments:

Post a Comment