Monday, December 6, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life...Sometimes!

Do you remember the scene in, Its a Wonderful Life, when George comes home after learning 8,000 dollars in cash has been lost and he will have to replace it. The house is chaos; one kid is sick, one kid is playing christmas songs on the piano, and kids are running everywhere; then George looses it, and yells at everyone, and storms out the door. Well I am not jumping off a bridge like George, but sometimes as a parent you just want to yell, you want to unleash, and storm out the door like George Bailey.

This time of year brings out a demon inside of children;"The Holy Crap, It is Almost Christmas So I Must Be Obnoxious Demon". It manifests itself into uncontrollable hyperness, constant wrestling, and well I will just say it, it turns children into full on s@#theads! This Christmas demon turns us parents into a sneering christmas ogre's who plead for Christmas day to come as fast as it can so the demon can be finally exorcised from our childrens' body.

I have one child practicing Jingle Bells on the piano while the other one is blowing into a recorder that is whistling a high pitch tune. The youngest is running circles around them while singing a non-coherent Christmas melody at her normal loud volume. They stop this brain piercing activity long enough to yell at each other because they feel the other is playing some note wrong. Then they begin making up their own songs, such as my favorite, "I'm gonna put my butt on you", sung to a slight blues melody and of course the grand finale is someone putting their butt on someone which leads to minutes of uncontrollable laughing.

I use the "Santa" threat; you know the one, you are getting nothing from Santa if you keep this up. They just look at me with disinterest and figure it is mom just being her usual ogre self and that "Santa" guy should put me on the naughty list for my George Bailey tirades.

Here is what I think, I don't think that every time a bell rings an angel gets its wing...... I think every time a bell rings..... another parent has lost their mind...That is where the song, "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" comes from..all parents have lost their mind by Christmas day. Now if you please excuse me I think I hear a ringing in my ears.......

1 comment:

  1. I love it! You are so good at writing and you just summed up this time of the year perfect.

    ReplyDelete