Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Sometimes the easiest decisions are the hardest.

So this weekend was probably just as traumatic for me as it was for the kids. This is a picture of Makenzie laying on Molly our springer spaniel. This is is how you always found the kids with the dog and Molly seemed to love it because she never moved or growled and if she tired of them she just moved to another part of the house and found a quiet place to sleep. We have had her for almost 6 years and had become part of our family.
Saturday morning me and the hubby were still in bed and the kids were downstairs watching T.V. and I heard the dog let out an aggressive bark with a growl and Makenzie began to cry and the twins began to scream for us. The dog had bitten our three year old on the face. It missed her eyeball but it got her eyelid and a deep gash was just below her eye. The dog knew she had done wrong and immediately began to shake and ran under the kitchen table. I was in shock at first, she had never...ever...had been aggressive with the kids. Of course I quizzed the twins to what had happened leading up to this event and they said Makenzie had done nothing to hurt her or scare her or anything to provoke such and action. Even if Makenzie had hurt her I knew that the aggressive action by the dog showed that she was probably capable of doing it again.
So I knew that she needed to leave our home. She is not an outside dog, she always been in our home so we knew that her going outside to a kennel was not an option but I did know she could not stay in our home. So through many tears; I think I cried the most, we put her up for adoption to a family that did not have small children in their home.
I had to wonder where I went wrong in the raising of her. Did I not show her enough that she was not the pack leader of Makenzie. I have extreme guilt over the situation and still very confused to what made her do something like that. The decision to make her leave our home was not a hard conclusion to come too but it was one of the hardest decisions that I had to follow through with. I tossed her dog bed and dishes yesterday through many tears. It broke my heart to have to do this but my children's safety comes first. A piece of my heart broke that day and I will miss her...stinky dog gas and all :)........

No comments:

Post a Comment