Monday, March 1, 2010

I see dead people!....but I didn't need a sixth sense to see them

I have mentioned in my first post that I have decided to go back to school. I have decided I am going to do nursing. I know it is literally one the hardest bachelors to obtain but I think I am up to the challenge. One of my challenges so far has been getting through an anatomy class that has made me seriously consider going into teaching instead. I think that a lot of the fault can be based on the professor for his attempt to make you fail at his test and quizzes. I have had to let go of the fact that my 4.0 is probably not going to be possible to obtain this semester but I know I have a 4.0 in effort for the class.

Saturday morning was our first experience with dissected cadavers. At first all we saw was body bags on the tables. I have seen bodies put in the bags to be taken to the funeral home or morgue (I have worked as a CNA at nursing home.) This time it was different because you knew that ...lack of a better word...they were dissected human beings. When the bodies were unzipped from there bags it was surreal looking at these bodies that were stripped down to bone and muscle. I thought of a that T.V. show American Dad; the dad character named Stan on the show once said, " There's nothing we can do, we're helpless like a turned over tortoise. Sure our bellies are warm now, but soon it will be dark and then the crows will come." I felt like the crows that day as we surveyed these bodies

They have names and what they died from on a dry erase board above their station. You try to be as respectful as you can be and thankful that these people donated their bodies so that students like me can understand the human body in depth. It was fascinating! Every muscle, bone, organ and every other component of our body is such an intricate well oiled machine.

Someone asked me what area of nursing I want to go in to because they knew exactly what they wanted to do when they go into nursing. I panicked a little because I thought why don't I know exactly what I want. Some people just know in their heart what they want and I guess I am just putting my heart out there and maybe it will lead me to it.

At the end of the Saturday we all piled in our cars and drove home. I wonder if some students decided if this was not for them or it solidified there decision to go in to the medical field. I do know that everyone went home with a good story to tell and a little more respect for the human body.

No comments:

Post a Comment