Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quirks


Admittedly we all have a unique set of quirks. Weird things that make us an individual. These traits can be annoying, funny,crazy and maybe just plain entertaining. It is easier to identify these habits in other people because it is hard to recognize them in yourself. My twins are full of these unique quirks. I am sure over time they will outgrow a lot of them and produce new ones but in the meantime they have one thing that I fear they will never outgrow


Those who know my twins and know them well know they have a debilitating fear of automatic flushing toilets. It started with a visit to a park when they were potty training. The toilet was one of those brushed metal toilets and it flushed suddenly and ferociously when Kaitlynn was on it doing her business and I have never heard a scream or complete fear come out of a child when this happened. Her twin sister witnessed this horrifying event and through some weird twin ESP connection they were from that day forward scared of the automatic flushing toilets. I am not kidding when I say they fear it. I had to make special arrangements at their school so they could have something to put over the sensor of the toilet so it did not flush on them unexpectedly. They would have not used the bathroom all day otherwise. If we are at other public restrooms and they are automatic flushers they go in to the same stall and take turns covering the sensor for each other so the other is not traumatized by the possibility of being sucked down the toilet. I can not help but think to myself; when are they going to outgrow this? Are they going to do this in High School? Are they going to be 45 and have to call each other to come to their aid when they need to use a public restroom? Will they need special therapy that will put them in room with a toilet and they will have sit on the toilet and flush the toilet repeatedly so they can get over this fear? The funniest part is they talk to each other when they are in the stall. They calm each other down they talk each other through this perilous pee. How would it be to have someone there that talks you through your anxiety moments and completely gets and understands your craziness. How awesome is it to be a twin. I want someone that will talk to me through my neurotic moments and have no judgement of my pure insanity.


Automatic flushing toilets is their quirk. It is a peculiarity that makes them unique. They understand the potential mishaps that could happen when your on that toilet and without a word uttered they know that other one will be there to put their hand on the sensor with no questions asked.



No comments:

Post a Comment