Monday, October 4, 2010

Mean Moms

I am currently taking an English course that teaches you how to write college papers such as research and rhetoric papers. It has been interesting and has made me step away from my blog type writing and actually have to write something in depth with hints of intelligence. We are getting ready to begin our process of doing our research paper and I think my topic will be something about capitalism and our economy...ya,ya ...politics, government, corruption...blah, blah, blah...you know what I would really love to focus my research on....."Mean Moms". Have you seen the movie Mean Girls? Well if you have not it is the pack mentality that teenager girls adopt to survive the hell that we call High School. Each girl in the popular "clique" is given a particular personality,the slut; the stupid one, the gossip; and of course the queen bee. I have learned through careful observation that this mentality seems to follow some women out of high school and they continue to carry on this mean girl persona so I have aptly named them "Mean Moms".


You have to observe these moms in their natural habitat like a playground but one of the ideal places to observe these women is at the children's museum. They thrive in this environment. First of all they feel as though because they have purchased an expensive membership to this educational environment it automatically gives them that heir of educational superiority. They have purchased this membership to further their child's vast intelligence so that they can go to kindergarten already understanding the laws of physics. The "Mean Moms" gather together with there whole foods snacks, 300 dollar purses, and 1000 dollar extensions. The clothes vary, it is either really expensive jeans with high heel shoes and chunky jewelery or it is the yoga gear to prove that had just recently worked out with their trainer. The hair has highlights and they always have eyelash extensions and freshly manicured fingers. They discuss their children's overly scheduled activities and how their coaches don't give them enough play time. They gossip about there neighbors and their friends and whatever charity event they are involved in.


There is always a lead mom, the queen bee mom. She is the type A personality with the blackberry out at all times. She dominates the conversation and all eye's revolve around her to see what the next move is. The rest are just followers they are usually wearing clothes that are to young for them and they laugh and enthusiastically agree with everything that the queen bee has to say.


I watch and I think to myself, Why? Why can't they leave high school behind? Are they trying to run for homecoming queen? Why am I observing you? Am I jealous?.........


Well if you know me, the last question is easy to answer, NO! I was never part of clique let alone wanting to be part of one as an adult but isn't it weird even as an adult you feel excluded and secretly know that you would never be accepted to that group and that leaves you with that unsure 15 year old feeling......hmmmm.....


See isn't this so much more fascinating then Capitalism and its impact on the economy.....well I suppose I will go on quietly observing these moms at school events, grocery stores, birthday parties, and playgrounds and wonder if we ever truly outgrow the politics of cliques.

3 comments:

  1. I ♥ you, Michele!! You are a GREAT mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I whole heartedly agree! Maybe we should start our own clique. We could wear worn jeans and t-shirts with stains from caring for our children, cooking dinner, and cleaning. We would only accept other moms who have naked piggies and at least one chipped nail. And no one, I mean no one would be allowed if they were under a size 12! We could do it for the sake of your paper. We could get together and go to the museum and see how the mean moms react to our group. It could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya we will rock our worn jeans, payless shoes, home dyed hair jobs and they can suck it :)......

    ReplyDelete