Sunday, April 17, 2011

Field Trip

So the last two weeks have been chaotic. Lots of school stuff so my face has been in a book or at school. I had procrastinated a science project. We had to send in pictures of something to do with science...animals, earth, sky...anything really and talk about it. So I had a destination in mind...Bonneville SeaBase.
It is just a few minutes outside of the town we live in. It is a natural geothermic hot springs and because it is near the Great Salt Lake it has the same salt content as an ocean. It is a mini ocean in the middle of the desert..no other place like it. They have 60 different species living in these springs. Most come from aquariums...they call this place a fountain of youth for fish. Fish do well here...really well... they live longer than most fish in captivity and some of the breeds who do not breed in captivity breed in this environment.
They teach scuba and for those who already are certified they only charge 15 dollars for a day pass.
One of the workers gave me a personal tour, he fed some of the fish and it brought a lot of them to the surface...it is hard to see in this picture but there is an angel fish the size of a dinner plate having some chow.
If you come in the mornings they charge 5 dollars and you can help feed the fish and sharks...even pet the nurse sharks...I am so bringing the kids out one morning to feed the fish.
This is the abyss..the deepest of the springs it is over 60 feet deep. There was a clown fish that greeted us at the entrance...guarding his territory :)
Funny to see people scuba diving in the middle of the desert...it made me want to run in and say sign me up...I wanna play! It was a fun break from school work. It is fun to tour these little quirky spots that crop up all around us...just makes me want to see more quirky spots all around the world but in the meantime I will appreciate what is out my back door.

No comments:

Post a Comment