Thursday, September 8, 2011

Blue's Clues Story


Before you watch the above link let me give you a little background regarding the above link. When the twins were between the ages of 2 and 4 they were obsessed with a T.V. show, with a certain dog in it ....Blue...Blue's Clues to be exact. When Blue's Clues came on T.V. they would run to the T.V. and sit motionless for the 25 minutes that it was on. If I believed in religious alters I would have made a shrine to Blue, I would have prayed to the Blue Gods and gave sacrificial offerings of animal crackers and apple juice because it was the only time of day that my twin toddlers sat in peace and were not dismantling my home.
Their grandma gave them a Blues Clues pajama set from Avon that looked very similar to the above picture. They lived in this outfit, I know I have pictures of them in it in my pile of pictures but the thought of going through my pile of "Twin" baby photo's seems overwhelming at the moment. They had numerous Blue toys including a mechanical Blue that came to you when you called it, so all day, everyday, you would hear, "C"mere Bu.....C'mere Bu.....Bu....C'mere Bu!" We had Blue's Clue sheets, dinnerware, underwear, and outerwear.

Steve...Steve was Blue's owner on the show. He wore the same striped polo and khaki pants in every show, he danced and sang, and Steve talked to those kids through the T.V. and the kids were mesmerized. Then tragedy struck..Steve went to college. They made an hour and half program out of it...Steve left the show! I heard the news and because I literally had no life at the time..no... seriously.... my life revolved around Spaghettios, cleaning up blue's clues toys, laundry, and trying to figure out what various sticky substances found its way on to my walls....I had to figure out how I was going to tell the girls this horrible news. Blue's Clues was the never the same after this ...Blue's Clues died the day Steve left.

The link above comes from a non-profit organization called, The Moth. It is heard on NPR and podcasts and it is dedicated to the art of storytelling. Famous people, not so famous people and everyday people gather to weave stories and share their life experiences. I am a storytelling junkie. I am enthralled by those who can orally weave an amazing tale. My father, uncles, and family in general are big story tellers and since I was a small child I was fascinated by people and the stories they have to tell. I think that is why I love reading blogs, because it is someones story, they are telling their story.

Anyways... look who shared his storytelling on The Moth...Steve...my Blue's Clues Steve.  Come to find out Steve is a musician now, even toured with the Flaming Lips. His storytelling made me smile today, him and his recollections of Blue's Clues opened a flood of memories for me
 "C'mere Bu....Bu....C'mere Bu....C'mere..Bu...Bu"

         It is not the voice that commands the story: it is the ear.
                                                 -Italo Calvino

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful story teller!! I used to love hearing your dad tell stories and recite cowboy poetry. I miss that but I get to read your stories on your blog and I love every minute of it.
    I remember Blue's Clues. Kelton loved that show and I haven't really paid attention but we might even still have his blue's clues sheets still. Oh, he would just love that I just shared that with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete