Sunday, July 25, 2010

Griswolds Family Vacation ...Day Three part 1

Here we are day three of our vacation. It was about a two and half hour drive to Colonial Williamsburg. You arrive at a visitor center and then they load you on a bus that takes you over to Williamsburg experience. We had never been to Williamsburg and we thought we would go this trip, It was very expensive and the typical tourist trap. We got to see some neat things but overall I was disappointed in what it had to offer. This is the governors palace that they recently reproduced. We went through this later in the afternoon and it was the highlight of the visit (pictures posted further down).

I need one of these as a threat for unruly children.


Okay...this picture was taken after a lot of walking in ungodly heat and humidity and I had just got done threatening my children that if they did not stop whining I was going to leave them at colonial williamsburg and they could perform tricks for tourists to earn money to get out of this tourist hell hole. After I finished whining to Adrian I was hot and ready to go I had to stop and make the best of the situation so it was time to gather my sanity that was slowing melting away in the 100+ plus degree heat and be happy. So I gathered my troops made everyone smile and to take a picture. We then went and bought 5 drinks and 5 cookies that cost us 20 dollars, yup colonial williamsburg screws you!


This was post cookies and drinks and we were all smiles again. I have no idea what these people get paid to work in the kind of heat that we experienced that day but I know it can not be enough.


Back to the governor's palace. Okay...it was our favorite place because it was air conditioned but honestly it was very cool place. They give tours as though they live in that time and they are preparing for a ball...so you are actually part of an interactive play also. This palace is a reproduction but they did it exactly to what it did look like. It was a British statehouse but also the governors home All the walls in the this area and the hallways and stairs had guns and swords on the walls as far up as the ceiling. As we waited outside to come into this tour the women giving the orientation had a moustache thicker then Adrian's so I figured these actors really get into character..because you know those women did not wax their upper lips back then.
Of course Makenzie announced loudly that she had a hairy lip like dad, I just smiled graciously and shoved Makenzie behind me...gotta love kids and the pointing out of peoples grooming flaws




I just realized this picture needs to be rotated but now it won't rotate..oh well. This is the governess's dressing room. This wallpaper is made of leather and 18 karat gold.




The tour took about 45 minutes. They put on a fun show and they interact a lot with the audience. This is the back of the palace and the gardens. If the heat would have not been so brutal I may have been able to take more of it in and walk more of the area but overall I would not put it on my suggestion list to anyone. I suppose I expected more buildings to be open to tour through but that was not the case. We decided as the temps reached 101 degrees it was time to head south to beach so we loaded on tour bus and headed back to our car......to be continued....







This is a very short clip of one of the shows they had going on that day. They shot of some cannons and did a march through town. It was representing the beginning of Virginians seeking independence from England

No comments:

Post a Comment