Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Penny For Your Thoughts?

In the movie Eat, Pray, Love Julia Roberts leaves her life behind for a year and tries to find herself and one of her destinations was India. She tries to find her spirituality through a guru. At the beginning of her stay she is told to meditate. She sits in a room where others are meditating and the whole time she is speaking to herself continuously making such comments as. "Why can't I clear my mind ?", or " I should I build a meditation room at home, how should I decorate it?" and so on.

So this morning Adrian had to get up at 4:55 to head out of town and once he was gone I laid in bed wide awake. I laid in bed till about 6:00 am and decided to get up and try some yoga stretches. We have a Wii fit board that came with an exercise and yoga disc. So I have my water in hand, wide awake, ready to clear my head and tackle the day.

After the Wii weighs me (lost 13 pounds in 14 days..on a diet...very happy) I begin the yoga stretches. I flip through the different options it gives me and I see a meditation section. So I think to myself, "The house is quite, I am feeling zen this morning, I lost 13 pounds, lets meditate!"

I sit on the board and the Wii screen goes dark and shows a candle. The object is you sit as still as you can on the Wii fit board. If you move to much the candle blows out. The object of meditation...relax your body...relax your mind...and find stillness.

Didn't realize the candle objective until it burnt out several times. I felt my frustration level rising. Frustrated my butt is big and does not sit easily on the board, just another reminder that I still have lots of weight to loose.

My mind wandered continuously from...calculus, kids; bills, need to dye hair; groceries I need, need to figure out what I am going to do for activity days; wonder what is on facebook this morning, the T.V. needs to be dusted; is that a fruit snack stuck to the playstation, this carpet needs to vacuumed; I wonder what we are doing in class tonight, Oh crap I need to read for class tonight; maybe I need to go to India to learn how to meditate.....and so on.

My candle burned out several times, I finally put away the Wii board, turned on the T.V., grabbed a protein shake, got the kids off to school, did some homework and finally got showered.

This afternoon I put a movie in for kenzie, sat down to read a book....15 minutes later I woke up .....I did it, I cleared my mind...I don't need India, I don't need a candle on a Wii board......I just need to close my eyes and go to sleep and my thoughts are finally quiet ........

1 comment:

  1. I love naps! Haven't seen the film yet-but may, after reading your tidbits. "Be still" seems like a strange commandment, sometimes. Much harder than it sounds, but good benefits...

    ReplyDelete