Sunday, January 30, 2011

Like, it is Totally the 80's!

So I am a child of the 80's. I was there to watch the premiere of Michael Jackson's Thriller video. I owned a pink members only jacket and wore jelly shoes. I watched President Reagan change the economy and the space shuttle, Challenger, meet a tragic end. It was not a perfect era but I think it was a pretty darn good era to grow up in. So I recently did my top five list of romance flicks so I figured tonight I would do 80's films. First of all I wanted to keep the list of the movies I enjoyed in the 80's, not as an adult. What I mean is I have seen all the John Hughes films and films similar to that...Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Say Anything, Better off Dead...and I love these films and they are some of my favorites but I wanted to use the movies I loved as kid...so maybe the list should be, "Movies I Loved as a Kid". Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford, Han Solo...enough said. Loved, loved, loved this movie. I wanted to be Indiana Jones, still want to be Indiana Jones. Back to the Future, this movie is the 80's. Family ties ( T.V. show starring Michael J Fox) was my favorite T.V. show. I think me and one of my childhood friends watched this movie a million times. Those were the days that you not only rented your movie but you rented the VCR also. They sent it home with you in a luggage size briefcase and it weighed 50 pounds. It was expensive to purchase a VCR and you were a lucky kid if you had one in your home.

Goonies, Goonies, Goonies....what can I say, I wanted to be a Goonie also. I loved the character, Chunk, Chunk has a scene in the movie where the bad guys catch him and he begins confessing everything he has done bad in his life...that scene still makes me belly laugh. We recently watched this movie on our family movie night. I think the kids liked it but I don't think they will ever have the appreciation I had for the movie :). It is kinda like my dad sharing the western movie "Shane" with me and I was less than enthusiastic with it.....maybe if I make them watch Shane they will appreciate Goonies more.


Once again, I think I watched this movie a million times. I have not tried watching this movie with the kids yet. I have not watched it forever also but I remember loving this movie. I also remember watching this movie at a lot of slumber parties. That brings back the memory of being in 4th grade and going to a birthday party where we watched this movie... the party had girls and boys and the girl that was hosting the party had a parrot; one of those big Macaws. Well it did not have a cage, just a huge tree branch that it perched on in the corner. This bird flew off its perch landed on my head and dug its claws in my head, tangling itself in my hair. Lets just say it "liked" my hair a lot! I was horrified, I was not only amongst my friends I was amongst boys from my class! Here I was an awkward pre-teen with a huge bird attached to my head trying to make love to it......adolescence, how did we survive it?



This movie is more adult orientated but it is a great movie! River Phoenix, Will Wheaton, Corey Feldman, and a much chubbier Jerry O'Conell. It is a Stephen King story and it is a great story. I had the soundtrack on tape and wore the tape out. I think I was the only 12 year old that could sing numerous 50's songs...thanks to that sound track. I still watch it every time it comes on.
I did not mention Star Wars because that is a whole other blog in of itself. I loved Star Wars and the trilogy is in its own class. Also the first one came out in the 70's not the 80's. There is lots of other movies I could mention and I also loved but I have to put a cap on myself at some point. I mentioned we have a family movie night. We all get turns picking a movie. I chose Ghostbusters last time and the girls loved it! They gave it two thumbs up and said, "For an old movie that was pretty good!" ....... yup, the movies I grew up watching are "old"....so what does that make me?




1 comment: