Thursday, October 27, 2011

24 hours

Children...our hearts...our life...our everything..

Now that I have that out of the way...how 'bout I discuss an example of 24 hours with children! Remember that movie that came out last year 127 hours...really 24 hours as a mom is not much different. Somedays you feel like cutting off your arm with a dull knife so you can escape. You find yourself loosing it and hallucinating like the man stuck in the canyon walls. If we videotaped ourselves daily we really would not act much different than the desperate man in 127 hours wondering if he was going to make it out alive. So here is a glimpse into my 24 hours of being a mom in my house....


7:30 AM- I am tired, I was up late studying and up early studying, and the youngest has a chest cold so her coughing kept waking me up throughout the night. Pre-teens emerge from the basement with the normal morning grumblings. Youngest is staying home from school....I begin my day looking at my to-do list for the day and realize everything on my list is for my children and other people's children.

7:45- Me~ " Kaitlynn, you just want butter on your toast? You don't want any jelly on it?"
         Kaity~"I have cinnamon and sugar on it!"
         Me~ "I don't see anything on there?"
         Kaity~ " I didn't want the cinnamon."
         Me~"So you are eating sugar!"
         Kaity~"Ya......but it is on toast!"

8:00- Given a note that I need to send a treat for Halloween party...will add to my to do list

9:00- Told they have a book report due tomorrow..must make a poster of it...add to do list

9:01- Drive older kids to school because we are running late because they move like molasses in the morning and they will be late if they walk.

9:05- Try to get showered but youngest is home due to chest cold ..she has needs and wants that in her world need to be dealed with right now.....delay shower..

10:00- Youngest has unraveled a whole roll of toilet paper trying blow her nose. Clean up mess

12:00- Holy Crap! Where did my morning go? Still only have a fraction of my list done, still not showered, youngest still needing and wanting right now...put on a hat realizing I am never going to get showered

12:45 Twins home, I leave to run errands that are for my children and others people children.

2:30- Back home...none of the things that I asked them to do while I was gone have been done.....only thing accomplished was eating an entire bag of Dortios.

2:31- I yell!

2:35- I am still yelling....

2:45- Children are doing what I told them to do almost three hours ago...Begin helping with book report.

2:50- Realize I am decorating poster board for book report by myself.

2:55- I yell!

3:00- Child works on her own book report by herself.

3:30-  Halloween activity at church.

4:45- Children still have not done everything I asked them to do on my list....I give up on yelling, they have won the war today...

5:00- Start dinner...load dishes because they have not been done yet ( one of those things on my children's list)....Drain plugged, I reach my hand in to see what it is clogging it...a piece of glass shard..a glass my children broke and did not clean up...finger tip sliced open.

5:05- Bleeding profusely, can't find a bandage because my children use all the bandages within 24 hours of  me purchasing them...have to find emergency first aid kit in the car. ( I have to hide bandages when I buy them because I am not kidding when I say they use all bandages purchased in 24 hours). Children are now aware of the band-aids in the car...they will be gone within 24 hours

5:03- Soup and rolls for dinner...youngest not eating at all? Earlier in the day I picked up a package at the post office from grandma in Idaho...it had Halloween candy in it for all the kids...Makenzie had eaten all of hers....everyone apparently oblivious to the five year old ingesting copious amounts of sugar....

6:05 Shower and bath time for all children..I cannot begin to describe what shower time can be like in our house so I am going to leave it up to Bill Cosby to describe the events, it begins with him sending the kids upstairs and pleading that they just be good...aside from we did not have beatings...we have an "Informant" in our house and all her sentences begin with, "Guess What", and I think I say, " I have had enough" at least three times a night. Enjoy .......





8:00- Youngest in bed

9:00- Twins in bed

12AM- Mom in bed...with dirty dishes in the sink, textbooks sprawled out, laundry piled up by the washing machine, toys and electronic devices scattered throughout the house

7:30 AM- Me~"It is cold this morning, you are going to need your winter coats for the walk to school."
                Cheyenne~"I lost mine, I don't know where it is at."

.....sigh......and a new 24 hour begins

Take it a day at a time Michele....a day at a time.........and I think I will make it out alive even if I have to cut my arm off with a dull knife.

1 comment:

  1. Bwahahahahaha! I did this kind of post a couple years ago...perhaps it's time I try it again... :) LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete