Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What Is My Back Up Plan?

First of all I am not complaining and I don't want it to come across that way....I call this a venting of my frustrations.....venting my uncertainties?

I have been going to school for basically two years now, two and a half by the time I am done with spring semester.

Wait....I can stop and announce this...I have my associates as of  this summer.I going to walk in the graduation ceremony in April. I made no grand announcements or anything but I am announcing it here...I have a college degree, just an associates but it  is a huge stepping stone to my goal....so YAY me!

I have busted my butt to take all the silly required classes, I have cried and complained my way through math courses, I have cut up dead bodies and looked under many microscopes and can tell you the physiology of DNA. I have spent hours in labs, taken numerous tests, written so many papers that I could put them all together and make a novel. I have listened to way to many lectures, and have become good friends with some of the professors and have learned that just because you call yourself a teacher does not mean you can teach.

I have done all this to get into a nursing program. In todays economy and uncertain future I want to make sure my family is taken care of and I know that both of us are going to have to contribute to do this. I decided to go back to school and nursing seemed to be the most logical choice for me. I can not settle for a minimum wage job at my age, I need a career...a career that pays well.

So here is where I vent. Schooling for nursing is in a shortage, especially here in Utah. They have 20 spots open in my school and my school includes all the USU extension campuses and I have to cross my fingers I get in. I have all the requirements covered, I have an excellent GPA ...yet I am competing with numerous others who are just like me. Utah's wait list for the limited amount of schools that offer nursing programs is years....I am 36, I don't have years to wait. Utah has 7 colleges that offer a nursing program....Texas has 75???

Like I said I am not whining or complaining, I know it is a competitive world out there...I am just frustrated that I have done everything that is required and have given 110% percent and I am left with unsureness and in limbo. I really don't have a lot of options if I am not accepted into the program; the program only comes around once every two years and I found out today my back up plan, another school that did not have a wait list, has put a freeze on acceptance into their RN program. I really don't want to spend another two years in school getting a degree in something I have no interest in.

So I am getting my nursing school application ready... I am finishing up a couple of my science courses....I am trying to figure out a back up plan just in case...I am trying to stay positive...

...and I am praying ....for guidance, for choices, for the future....I am praying this was the right choice for my family?

...Texas...75 schools...Utah .....7 schools and long wait lists....

..Texas, I have heard it is a lovely place to live?!........

No comments:

Post a Comment