Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Sometimes even I get the "AHA" moment"

I had an "AHA"moment

...or in other words a moment of clarity...a moment where you learn something...a moment when you realize what you are doing WRONG.

My husband had an experience last night that had nothing to do with me but because essentially your spouse is your life whatever happens to your spouse affects you.

In church on Sunday the lesson was about the end of days. It is a subject that everyone has an opinion on, some think it is tomorrow, others believe it won't happen for many lifetimes, and others are somewhere in the middle.

The person who taught the lesson did not use the church manuals to teach the lesson, he brought a binder full of his own literature that reflected his opinion on the subject. My husband and several others in the class questioned a lot of what he said and felt the lesson was not directed by the spirit but by a very questionable opinion of one person.

At one point my husband corrected this gentleman on an historical fact..it had nothing do with theoretical doctrine but actual historical data. The gentleman was wrong with his facts and he was politely corrected by my husband. There were several comments by others as we left church about the lesson and the contention felt in the room, but by Sunday evening it was forgotten and life had moved on...or so we thought.

Tuesday evening there is a knock at our door and it was the gentleman that gave the lesson, he asked my husband to come outside to our porch and proceeded to tell my husband that he had humiliated him by correcting him in class. He felt my husband was mocking him and making fun of him and made him look stupid. Then he took it upon himself as being the leader of this particular class to uninvite my husband to any further classes until my husband goes and speaks to the bishop to be reprimanded for his actions and apologizes to the class.

My husband kindly disagreed with the events of that day and apologized to the gentleman that he felt like he was being mocked  and he kindly agreed to meet with the bishop because he is certain the bishop would like to hear about this incident.

My response was..."WHAT!, are you KIDDING ME!...why didn't you ask him to get off our porch!"....Oh Ya!, I will tell him what I think of him and his binder full of misinformation!"....and I said a lot of other things in between that was not one of my finer moments. You see I have my fathers temper sometimes and I can go from zero to mock speed in a matter of seconds;  I am working on that issue. Anyways, I had myself worked in to a frenzy.

My husband called a friend to see what he remembered about the day and asked if he was mocking or putting him down. His friends recollection was exactly what my husbands was and the friends reaction was the same as mine. My husband stayed relatively calm in the situation because he knew in his heart he had done nothing wrong.

I woke up last night sometime in the middle of the night and my first thought was about this person...I was angry at him. I sat there thinking about how this man had stewed and steamed on this for days and how his being corrected consumed his life so much that he took it upon himself and his authority to basically disinvite somebody from coming to church.....I stewed, I steamed, I became so consumed by this person that I almost took it upon myself to show up on that mans door this morning to tell him.....

"AHA!"....a light finally went off in my head

I was no different than this man.....the person I was so angry at for his reaction was exactly my same reaction........I was being consumed by anger and malicious thoughts and exaggerations in my head.....

In the middle of the night my anger went away...I calmed down...and I slept...I  was no longer consuming myself with another man's anger.

Why would I want to consume myself with anger. Anger is a way of controlling others,  anger comes from judgement, anger comes from selfishness, anger is meant to diminish and put down others, anger eats away at your wellness...... anger is a sin, and I don't want to be associated with any of those things.

I am learning...I learn everyday..some days I  get the "AHA" moment, other days I just sit in oblivion....

.....this time I got the message loud and clear...see Lord sometimes I do listen...

Thank You

3 comments:

  1. I learned this lesson after my mom died, when I could have chosen to be angry and hateful toward the man that was responsible. Somehow I didn't, but I learned the power of anger and the Adversary's desire to have us waste our time on things like hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, cousin. It would be amusing if something like that happened to me, but infuriating if it happened to my *spouse*.

    Please let us know how it turns out, that's way too dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I was ready to read this when you first posted it, I was still upset and it had to do with this situation and other family things. I was so busy holding onto all those bad feelings. Thank you for sharing your AHA moment, it has helped me to rethink my feelings and how I want life to be. You made me stay up thinking for a long time one night, dang you! Thank you for always be such a good voice for reason.

    ReplyDelete