Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Little House On the Prairie Traumatized Me!

I have listed my top romance movies here and my favorite 80's movies here so just for fun and because it is October and Halloween is around the corner lets discuss scary movies. The topic was brought up earlier this week when my husband called into a radio station that was discussing the scariest movies of all time,  My thoughts were I would discuss a few movies that scared the "CRAP" out of me when I was younger and movies that made me scream like a little girl as an adult.

First of all I am putting in an honorable mention because it is not a movie it was a T.V. series and a family series at that...let me show a clip and see if you recognize it......

Remember??? Okay this is a clip from...wait for it...Little House On the Prairie..YES, I said Little House On the Prairie! This episode was about a girl that Albert was in love with and the the girls father was overly concerned about their infatuation with one another and the girl comes up pregnant and everyone blames Albert...well guess what ...NO,Albert wasn't the baby daddy, the girls dad was the baby daddy!

They show the girl walking home through the forest and this creepy man in the mime mask is lurking in the trees and then chases her down and rapes her, and as we learn later in the show it is her dad. WHAT THE HELL! This is a family show..incest, rape, pregnancy....creepy man in a mime mask lurking behind the trees! I walked home by myself from school everyday and I looked for a creepy man in mime mask to jump out behind the trees for years. They rerun Little House on The BYU channel here and if I ever see this episode on I still don't watch it!....it traumatized me!

All right now on to movies that scared me as a kid. A friend in 6th grade gave me a book called Amityville Horror...I read about 4 chapters, put it down and have never tried to read it again. Here is the thing with scary movies and me, the slasher horror pictures shows do not scare me as much as the ones that have potential of being true. Amityville was based on a true story...so it was all real in my head and because it was real it had potential of happening to me .
Still have not watched the original movie all the way through......
and I don't care that this is some of the eye candy in the remake......I still won't watch it!

The next movie once again has potential of being real...HEY! I watch Ghost Hunters and I know poltergeists are real! We watched Poltergeist last year with the twins...they laughed...they thought it was silly, okay it is silly now but when I was young and the T.V. went to snow at the end of the night after the national anthem was played it was SCARY! Anytime you lost signal and the noisy fuzz came on your T.V. you about pooped your pants because you thought for sure something was going to grab you and drag in to the T.V.!

My last childhood picture is a typical slasher film and the original scared me to death. You know what made this film so scary...it was filmed during daylight! Bad guys don't come out in the day, they come out at night with all the other boogity men. See potential of it happening to me....I was latch key kid, I went into an empty house when I came home from school, I was already freaked out because there could have been a creepy man in a mime mask behind a tree ready to grab me and then......Mike Meyers could have been in my house..because Mike Meyers came out during the day AACKKK!

 One more honorable mention.....
 Cujo..... our neighbor had a St. Bernard and it had potential of turning into Cujo...you never know, it could have happened!

As an adult I can rationalize but there is still potential...so really I have not matured at all since childhood!

This movie gave me the creeps...and the second one made me jump a few times and now they have a third one coming out. It is a low budget film and it is has a lot of talking but I think it is one of the most unsettling movies that I have seen as an adult. Meaning, I would not watch this film if I was home alone...because...it has potential of being real!!!!! I watch Ghost Hunters people!

The first time I watched this movie, I did not watch the end....and if you have seen the movie it is really what you have been watching the whole movie for...you want to know what is on that tape! I closed my eyes and watched none of it, by the time I got to the end of the movie I was all worked up and that end was going to put me over the edge. I have since watched the ending and it is not nearly as creepy the second time you watch it but I will give it an A+ for giving me that horror movie experience!


All right...I know this movie does not have potential to happen but I have seen enough zombie movies at this point that in case of Zombie Apocalypse I am well prepared. Anyways, my hands were clammy and my heart raced watching this movie....zombies running fast, blew my mind...and creeped me out. The old zombie movies had the zombies aimlessly wandering...going very slow...that did not scare me! Now zombies that are Olympic sprinters...scares me! I know my Hostess cupcake butt is not out running these zombies.



One more honorable mention....
Insidious.....creepy music, creepy demon......just out and out creepy..and even creepier when you are in a theater with just you and the two people you went with!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I had the same experience with Amityville horror and I knew at any moment my chairs would rearrange themselves in the kitchen after seeing Poltergeist. I may never forgive you for talking me into going to the theater to watch The Ring. That one still freaks me out! The one from my childhood that still disrupts my life was Nightmare on Elm Street. I still can't take a bath without fearing that claws will appear. I guess I haven't matured much either.

    ReplyDelete